A lot can happen in two years…

Two years ago, I was at a completely different place in my life. I was lonely, depressed, stressed out, and I weighed 426 lbs. That’s right, 426 lbs. My dad talked me into getting weight loss surgery in early 2010, and I started seeing a doctor in March of that year. My doctor set me up on a plan to meet the requirements for Lap Band surgery, and off I went.

I was always a heavy guy. Even when I was a kid, I was always one of, if not THE, biggest kids in my class in school. Growing up, I was fairly athletic, playing football, and baseball, and doing all the things kids do. I never really felt “held back” by my weight in any physical way, until I got into my mid 30s when I hit the mid 300 range.

That was when I really started noticing how much my back hurt when I was walking, and how winded I got when I was at work. I also had a hard time keeping up with my boys. After my first wife died, my weight problem got even worse, and before I knew it, it had snowballed to over 400 lbs. I was unable to do almost anything that required even minimal physical exertion.

I was also incredibly lonely. Once I started with my weight loss doctor and I began seeing results, I gained a bit more confidence and decided I would “test the waters” in the dating pool. It’s not easy finding a dating partner when one weighs over 4 bills (shocking, I know), but I set out to try. Being lucky enough to live in a fairly large city, I signed up on a couple of dating websites just to see what was out there.

To my complete surprise, I started dating someone fairly quickly. Her name was Stephanie, and she was only the 2nd girl I had ever really dated (my first wife being the only other). That relationship lasted a little over a month, and I could tell that it wasn’t really going anywhere. Over Memorial Day weekend of 2010, she broke up with me.

So, back online I went. I had started emailing/texting a couple of women from the site when I ran across a profile for a very cute, but younger, woman. She was about 9 years younger than me, but, I thought, what the heck? Worse thing that could happen is that she wouldn’t answer my email. I didn’t think she liked me at first, but once we started texting back and forth, we became very close in just a matter of days. My first email to her was on June 1st. By the 4th, we were both pretty smitten.

We decided we would meet up on Saturday, June 5th. The main problem? She was a single mom with one kid, and I was a single dad with two kids. Our solution? Meet at the mall, and let the boys play in the play land while she and I talked, and got to know each other better (we even sneaked a kiss or two while our boys weren’t looking…haha). 

It was in that play land that I KNEW I was in love with her. I was pretty sure she felt the same way, but I knew I had better not say anything because the quickest way to scare someone off is to start throwing around the “L” word too quickly.

I also had a small problem. Before she and I had hit it off so well, I had made a date to meet another woman later that Saturday night. After the date at the play land, however, I knew that it was not fair to anyone (especially the woman I was now in love with) to go through with that date.

I texted Sara after our date at the play land, asking, “If I cancel my date tonight, would it be ok if I came over for dinner and/or a movie?” She texted back almost immediately, “ABSOLUTELY!” So, that night, we had our first official “grown up” date.

I also decided that night that I couldn’t hide my feelings any longer, and told her that I was falling in love with her. She looked at me and smiled, and said she felt the same way, but was afraid to say it so fast. I think we both knew right then and there that we would get married, and live the rest of our lives together.

It’s now two years later. I have lost about 180 lbs, I am healthier than I have ever been, and I am more in love with Sara with each passing day. I never thought it was possible to be this blissfully happy, but here I am.

Here is a nice picture of our family taken this past Christmas:

Happy Anniversary, baby! I love you!


One thought on “A lot can happen in two years…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s